We invite students from all geology disciplines to be part of an organization that helps to make the world a better place while growing your opportunities as a geologist. Student members are a valuable and important part of EEGD. Our Division consists of students, academics, and professional geologists from private industry and government agencies. The umbrella of environmental and engineering geology covers an immense range of skill sets and backgrounds ranging from geologic hazards, hydrogeology, environmental geology, economic and mining, geoinformatics, geomechanics, remote sensing, and many others. We apply this knowledge to solve many of society’s geologic problems.
As a student, EEGD can contribute to your future success by connecting you with a variety of professionals. For starters, you are always welcome to visit GSAs Geoscience Job Board to learn about internships and career opportunities. Additionally, there are multiple ways that you can become involved with EEGD and in the process, you can help boost your career, including:
At GSA Annual Meeting:
- Attend our Annual Awards Ceremony - Get the opportunity to mingle with geologists from all fields and at all career stages. By becoming a member of EEGD you will automatically receive updates on information for the Awards Ceremony prior to every Annual Meeting.
- Student Mentoring Session - At the GSA Annual Meeting, EEGD organizes a Student Mentoring Session where you can interact with a panel of academics and professionals as they discuss their careers. The moderated discussion gives students time for questions and the ability to meet others with similar interests.
- Student Poster Session - Monetary awards are offered for a combination of poster content and oral presentation (judges visit your poster and ask lots of questions!). This opportunity is not only a great learning experience, but also is a great addition to everyone’s resume. For more information, please consider joining our EEGD community for dates and deadlines for the Student Poster Session.
Join EEGD for more information on these great opportunities.
Two Student Awards are presented annually through the Roy J. Schlemon Scholarship Fund:
- Award presented for outstanding research in environmental and (or) engineering geology
- Award presented to assist students in the fiscal costs of the field trips and short courses held at GSA Annual or Sectional Meetings.
Click here to go to our Student Awards section to apply for the Schlemon Scholarship.
Join the Management Board - Student Representative
The Student Representative serves a two-year term and is a voting member on the EEGD Management Board. Additionally, the EEGD student representative is a voting member on the Student Advisory Council, which convenes at the Annual Meeting. These opportunies allow students to personally engaged with the EEGD community and help grow the student involvement throughout the GSA Community.
Contact our Chair or current Student Representative for information on how you can apply as our next Student Representative.
Richard H. Jahns Distinguished Lectureship Series
EEGD and the Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists sponsor the Richard H. Jahns Distinguished Lectureship Series, which is intended to promote student awareness of engineering and environmental geology through a series of annual lectures at academic institutions. Please visit the link above to see if this year’s Jahns Lecturer is coming to your community. If you do not see a location near you, we encourage you to speak with your department chair to organize a visit by the Jahns Lecturer!
Please consider joining us today! If you have any questions about EEGD, please contact anyone from our Management Board. We'd love to hear from you!