Dr. Wenshu Yap

What is your current professional role?

I am currently a Research Fellow in the Earth Observatory of Singapore at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.

What aspects of marine or coastal geoscience do you work on (or have you worked on in the past)?

My work focuses on using environmental DNA (eDNA) to study organisms present in coastal geological records. This information is useful to help us understand past events, such as coastal hazards and sea level changes.

How did you first become interested in science?

Since a young age, I have been captivated by detective stories and the scientific techniques employed to unravel mysteries. However, I never had the confidence to consider pursuing a career in science, believing myself to be an average student. Influenced by my parent's preferences, I decided to pursue a science degree and chose plant science as my field of study. Little did I know that this decision would open doors to interdisciplinary studies and the vast realm of natural science. It was when I was hired as a research assistant that I truly began to explore the possibilities within the scientific community. In this role, I seized the opportunity to be involved in a pilot project, which ultimately laid the foundation for my journey towards obtaining a Ph.D.

Who have been your greatest mentors?

My greatest mentors are my seniors, peers, and research advisors. They have offered unwavering support and guidance during challenging times. I am deeply grateful to their invaluable contribution to my journey.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in this field?

My advice to someone just starting out in the field is to be persistent and resilient. Don’t give up easily and keep pushing towards your goals. If you encounter obstacles or find things difficult, take a break and regroup, but never stop trying. Explore different approaches and don't hesitate to seek help or advice from others. Sometime, a fresh perspective can provide solutions to your challenges. Remember, success often comes from perseverance and an open mind to explore new paths.

Where is your favorite coastal or marine location?

I haven't been to a lot of coastal or marine location, so far, my top favourite is Cebu Island.

What are some things (not including work) you are passionate about?

Aside from work, I like travelling, baking, and engaging in craft activities.

You get a chance to relax with your favorite meal and your favorite music- what are you eating and listening to?

I am eating Barley with Yuba and listening to Yiruma, River Flow in You.