Dr. Samuel Neely

What is your current professional role?

Currently, I am a Postdoctoral Associate in the Department of Biological Sciences at Florida International University. My research includes censusing native tree snail and non-native flatworm populations in inland and coastal hardwood hammock habitats of South Florida to establish their population densities and geographic ranges.

What aspects of marine or coastal geoscience do you work on (or have you worked on in the past)?

I am a conservation paleoecologist who uses paleontological methods and historical data to inform our understanding of environmental shifts in modern ecosystems, and vice versa. I have researched marine invasions and predator-prey interactions of mollusks through time. Most recently, I conducted research in mangroves to understand how environmental and biological processes influence coastal peat formation.

How did you first become interested in science?

I originally planned a career in the medical field. It was not until my senior year of college when I took a paleontology course, and then conducted my biology capstone on the Burmese python invasion in South Florida that I seriously considered pursuing a career in the natural sciences. Fortunately, I found a master’s degree program where I could combine my newfound love of paleontology, geoscience, and invasive species!

Who have been your greatest mentors?

Among my greatest mentors are Dr. Patricia Kelley and Dr. Anne Raymond. As my master’s thesis advisor, Dr. Kelley provided me with the opportunity that launched my career in geosciences. Her unwavering support, guidance, and patience allowed me to grow as a scientist and to understand the culture of academia. Dr. Raymond, my PhD advisor, empowered me to think outside of the box and assess a research question from many different angles (which often leads to new research questions and projects)! Her mentorship built my confidence in conducting independent and scholarly research.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in this field?

My advice to someone just starting out in this field is to go to in-person and virtual conferences! Conferences can be a lot of fun where you can explore a plethora of research presentations that broaden your wealth of knowledge and allow you to think outside of your area of expertise! Plus, conferences allow you to network with other professionals, which could lead to future collaborations or employment opportunities!

When did you begin your postdoctoral position and what was challenging about transitioning from a grad student to a postdoctoral researcher? What were positive aspects?

I began my postdoctoral position in December 2022. Because I was funded on a teaching fellowship throughout my graduate career, the most significant challenge that I had with transitioning from a graduate student to a postdoctoral researcher is not teaching! Because my postdoctoral research is primarily comprised of field work, one positive aspect of my changing role is that I get to explore numerous habitats and conservation lands in South Florida. Before I started this position, I had read about and visited the Everglades; however, it is completely different to immerse yourself into this system and witness the interconnectedness between habitats across this expansive landscape.

What general advice do you have for students looking for postdoctoral research positions?

My general advice for students looking for postdoctoral research positions is to seek positions that align with your career goals and provide you with the opportunity to learn and develop new skills.