Dr. Raquel Bryant

Raquel Bryant is an invited speaker for the 2022 GSA Connects Session 
T145. Advances and New Voices in Marine and Coastal Geoscience.

What is your current professional role?

I am currently a Postdoctoral Fellow in the College of Geosciences at Texas A&M University. I will be (in the fall) an Assistant Professor of Earth and Environmental Science at Wesleyan University. 

What aspects of marine or coastal geoscience do you work on (or have you worked on in the past)?
I am a paleoceanographer and I investigate how the ocean and marine ecosystems respond to intervals of global warmth through Earth's history. 

How did you first become interested in science?
Playing the video Zoo Tycoon and watching the Wild Thornberrys as a kid. I was so impressed with how different parts of the world had different organisms adapted to live there. But also worried what that meant in the face of climate change. I was hooked on earth science when I realized in college that geologists study past climates and ancient environments to understand what might happen in the future. 

Who have been your greatest mentors?
My greatest mentors have been my friends and peer-mentors who challenge me to blaze a unique trail without worrying about following in anyone's exact footprints. 

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in this field?
Practice expansive networking. You never know what kind of amazing collaborations can come from connecting with someone you seemingly have little in common with. Also get out to sea if you can - it will change your life!

Where is your favorite coastal or marine location (includes paleo-coastal or -marine)?
Not sure it's my favorite, but I do spend a lot of time thinking about the Late Cretaceous Western Interior Seaway.

What are some things (not including work) that you are passionate about?
Singing and songwriting, leadership, dinner parties

You get a chance to relax with your favorite meal and your favorite music- what are you eating and listening to?
Eating a vegan meal prepared by my sisters and listening to Sarah Vaughan.