Kyrien Edwards

Kyrien Edwards

Kyrien (third from right) during his internship at the Port and Airport Research Institute in Yokosuka, Japan.

Kyrien is a former (and the first ever) student representative for the GSA Marine and Coastal Geoscience Division.

What is your current professional role?

I am currently a business manager (Senior Associate) at JP Morgan Chase.

What aspects of marine or coastal geoscience do you work on (or have you worked on in the past)? The themes of my research have broadly included oil and gas exploration, carbon sequestration, tsunami and storm surge mitigation, and I am currently starting work on implementing climate related risk into financial models.

How did you first become interested in science? I was always interested in science but after taking an undergraduate oceanography course, I was drawn to geoscience.

Who have been your greatest mentors? MY TEACHERSSS!! They gave me the foundation necessary to thrive in the fast changing world of research. I've been lucky enough to have teachers and mentors at all levels who would have honest conversations with me about my goals and plans for the future

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in this field? Network! Sometimes its not about what you know but who you know. And get out of your comfort zones, both in terms of networking and research. Leaving your comfort zone will force you to learn new skills, making you more valuable.

What are some things (not including work) are you passionate about? I'm passionate about learning Japanese and having day-to-day adventures. 

You get a chance to relax with your favorite meal and your favorite music- what are you eating and listening to? Turkey neck stew (you've just got to try it) and J. Cole.