Information for Presenters
Your abstract acceptance e-mail, mailed to you in August, included the time and location of your presentation as well as whether you’ve been slated for a talk or a poster. If you are presenting a talk, please read the following information for Oral Presentations.
All speakers must pay the registration fee to speak and attend the Annual Meeting.
All sessions will take place either at the Washington State Convention Center (WSCC) or The Conference Center (TCC).
- The normal length of an oral presentation is 12 minutes plus three minutes for questions and answers.
- You must visit the Speaker Ready Room at least 24 hours before your scheduled presentation.
- All technical session rooms will be equipped with a PC using MS Office 2013.
- Presentations should be prepared using a 16:9 ratio.
GSA strives to provide you with top quality equipment in each of the technical session rooms. This year, and going forward, as you prepare your GSA oral presentation, please do so by using the 16:9 ratio in PowerPoint, or whichever presentation package you are using. To double-check this in PowerPoint, go to > Design > Page Setup, and make sure the "Slides Sized for" field is set to "On-screen Show (16:9)."
- THE KEYNOTE PRESENTATION SOFTWARE IS NOT SUPPORTED DURING THE ANNUAL MEETING.
- For best results, use commonly used fonts. Remember, these are rental computers, and may not support the full selection of fonts.
To submit your presentation prior to the meeting (deadline: 11:59 p.m. EDT, 17 Oct.), please upload to the Conference Exchange website. You will need to know your abstract ID (see your abstract acceptance notification) and password. You can also withdraw your presentation via this site.
We strongly recommend all speakers visit the speaker ready room to run through presentations in order to get comfortable with the equipment. We recommend this also to anyone who uploaded their presentation early. It's best to make sure images and fonts used in your presentation, work well on the rented conference centers equipment. Highly qualified technicians are on-hand to offer any needed assistance.
|Speaker Ready Room
|Washington State Convention Center, Room 303
|Sat., 21 Oct.
||8 a.m.–8 p.m.
|Sun.–Tues., 22–24 Oct.
||6:30 a.m.–6:30 p.m.
|Wed., 25 Oct.
||6:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
|The Speaker Ready Room does not have internet service.
|If Your Presentation Is On:
||Upload No Later Than:
|Sun., 22 Oct.
||8 p.m., Sat., 21 Oct.
|Mon., 23 Oct.
||6:30 p.m., Sun., 22 Oct.
|Tues., 24 Oct.
||6:30 p.m., Mon., 23 Oct.
|Wed., 25 Oct.
||6:30 p.m., Tues., 24 Oct.
If you uploaded your presentation online, or if you were not able to to submit your presentation online prior to the meeting, please bring your presentation, on a thumb drive, to the Speaker Ready Room the day before your presentation. Below is a schedule:
If you have a Sunday presentation and are unable to get to the speaker ready room on Saturday, please take your presentation directly to your session room at least 30 minutes before the session is scheduled to begin.
Acceptable file types: PowerPoint (.ppt, pptx, pps, or .ppsx), Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), or PDF (.pdf). If your graphics or video clips are not embedded in your presentation, please be sure that you bring them as well. The Speaker Ready Room does not have available thumb drives, so please be sure to come prepared.
Mac users-Please Read: If your presentation was created on a Mac and converted to run on a PC, please test it before you come to the meeting. Make sure that the hyperlinks still function, and avoid using a rewritable CD (CD-RW), as we’ve encountered compatibility problems with them. If your presentation includes embedded video, your video will most likely NOT play automatically on the PC platform. You will need to either convert your .mov files to .avi format or create a link in your slide show to an external .mov file. If you choose the latter, your animation will play in a separate QuickTime window, outside of your PowerPoint presentation. THE KEYNOTE PRESENTATION SOFTWARE IS NOT SUPPORTED DURING THE ANNUAL MEETING. We strongly recommend that you test your Mac-produced presentation on a Windows-based system before coming to the meeting. If you are unable to run your Mac presentation from a PC, we will be able to accommodate you. Please talk to the technicians in the Speaker Ready Room for more information.
*The Geological Society of America is not affiliated with FedEx Office Center, GSA accepts no responsibility for the quality, content, nature of reliability of services rendered by FedEx Office Center.
- You will be provided with one horizontal, freestanding 8-ft-wide by 4-ft-high display board, and Velcro for hanging your display is provided at no charge.
- Each poster booth will share a 6-ft long by 30-inch wide table.
- Electricity is available, for a fee.
- Wi-Fi will be available in the poster hall area.
- Posters should be on display 9 a.m.–5:30 p.m. on Sunday, with authors present 3:30–5:30 p.m. On Monday through Wednesday, posters should be on display 9 a.m.–6:30 p.m., with authors present 4:30–6:30 p.m.
- Want to present your poster digitally? As a poster presenter, you will be given the opportunity to present your poster in a digital format. Information on this will be provided in the acceptance notices. Presenters are responsible for all fees associated with this type of presentation.
- FedEx Office Center is offering a special discount to Poster Presenters attending the GSA Annual Meeting 2017. Posters received on or before 18 October are eligible for discounted pricing. Two poster size options are listed on the order site. Please contact FedEx Office Center for additional poster sizes and pricing information. Maximum size for posters are 46"x94". Upload your posters to FedEx's portal here: docstore.fedex.com/hco5161. Please note: Fee charged for re-sizing poster. Call FedEx Office Center with any questions at +1-206-467-1767 or email email@example.com.