On To the Future Application Instructions
Who Can Apply to the OTF Program
Students must meet the following criteria in order to apply to the OTF Program:
- Be a diverse undergraduate or graduate student from a two or four year college that is currently studying at a U.S. or Canadian institution OR be a recent college graduate that currently resides in the U.S or Canada.
- GSA defines diverse as a student that comes from a low income, minority background including students who are the first generation in their families to attend college, ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and students with disabilities.|
- Has not attended a GSA Annual Meeting (attendance to a GSA Section Meeting will not disqualify you)
- Be eligible to travel to Canada i.e. have a current U.S. passport or have the ability to obtain one before the meeting. If you are not a U.S. Citizen you must have or be able to obtain a travel visa to enter Canada. Please note: You do not need a passport or visa in order to apply. As long as you are willing and able to obtain one this summer, you apply.
If you do not meet all of the criteria mentioned above, you are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply to the OTF Program
All applications to the OTF Program will be processed online. To view the application in its entirety, see the OTF Application.
To begin an application, you must either have your GSA member number or create a non-member ID. This will allow you to save and return to your application at a later time. When you are ready to apply, have the following information ready:
- List of relevant courses and grades – you do not need to upload a transcript but please have a list of courses and grades that are relevant to the geosciences.
- One letter of recommendation – in the application you will be asked to type in the name and email address of one mentor. This mentor will complete a recommendation for you. An automatic request will be sent to the mentor you indicate once you apply. Remember that it is your responsibility to talk with your mentor to let them know that you are applying for this opportunity. Please only enter in a mentor name and email address of someone who will provide a positive recommendation.
- Cover letter – in the online application you will be asked to cut and paste a cover letter. In this letter, please address how your attendance to GSA’s Annual Meeting will help you meet your professional goals. Also include a travel budget in your letter narrative. For tips on creating a travel budget please see the Budget Tips document.
- Last, the application will ask you “in one sentence, how can you add to the diversity of this program”. Please prepare a short answer to this question.
The application to attend the 2014 GSA Annual Meeting has passed. Please check back in spring 2015.
Don’t forget to visit the OTF Frequently Asked Questions page to learn more. If you still have questions, please contact Tahlia Bear at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 303-357-1066