Housing FAQs

Government Employees
When you make a hotel reservation through Visit Denver/GSA Housing Bureau you do not have to pay for your room in advance. We only request a credit card to hold the reservation. The credit card is not charged by Visit Denver/GSA Housing Bureau. If you find out at a later date you need to cancel your hotel reservation, you can cancel prior to 30 September with no cancellation fee. The only time your credit card will be charged is if: 1) you cancel your reservation on or after 30 September (a $25 cancellation fee will be charged) or; 2) if you cancel 72 hours prior to your scheduled arrival date (one night’s room/tax will be charged).
  1. I am staying in Denver longer than the dates of the meeting. Can I still book a hotel room through GSA?
  2. Why didn’t the hotel I am interested in show up on the online reservation form?
  3. My hotel of choice does not pop up as available online but when I call the hotel directly they say they have rooms available in their GSA block.
  4. Can I get the government per diem rate through the GSA Hotel Room Block?
  5. I called the hotel of my choice and they have rooms available, but at a much higher rate. Why?
  6. I'm a member of a hotel preferred member rewards program. Can I obtain rewards points when I book a room inside the GSA housing block, and/or can I apply existing rewards points toward my room charges?
  7. I have booked my room outside of the GSA block at a higher price; can I get the GSA rate?
  8. I found a lower rate online through Expedia (or similar site). Why aren’t GSA's rates the same?
  9. When I checked into the hotel they told me they were oversold and relocated my reservation to another hotel. What should I do?
  10. What is Passkey/GroupCampaigns, and why do I keep seeing that word in connection with reserving a hotel room?
  11. How can I reserve a suite?
  12. When will the hotel have a copy of my reservation?
  13. I missed the hotel deadline, can you still help me?
  14. I arrived at the hotel a day after my reservation check-in date and the hotel says they don’t have a room for me. What should I do?
  15. How does GSA protect my room reservation?

1. I am staying in Denver longer than the dates of the meeting. Can I still book a hotel room through GSA?
Yes, GSA has reserved the hotel room blocks for 24–31 October 2013. If you try to reserve a room online and there are no hotels with availability for your requested dates, please contact Visit Denver/GSA Housing Bureau directly (housing@visitdenver.com). They can check with the hotels to see if they have availability outside of our "official" dates.

2. Why didn’t the hotel I am interested in show up on the online reservation form?
Only hotels that have availability for the DATES and ROOM TYPE you request will show up as options for your reservation. Some hotels only have king rooms, so if you requested a room with two beds, the hotel won't show up as an option. The smaller hotels (those with 100 rooms or fewer) are sometimes the least expensive hotels and are usually the ones that will fill up most quickly. You can try modifying your search by entering different arrival and departure dates or contact the Visit Denver/GSA Housing Bureau at housing@visitdenver.com. You can also check at a later time to see if any rooms have become available due to cancellations.

3. My hotel of choice does not pop up as available online but when I call the hotel directly they say they have rooms available in their GSA block.
The hotels will not download any of their GSA reservations until after 18 October. Prior to this time, a reservations agent at the hotel will show all the rooms in the GSA block are still available in their system. The rooms won't be "filled" until after 18 October, once they receive the room reservations from Visit Denver/GSA Housing Bureau.

4. Can I get the government per diem rate through the GSA Hotel Room Block?
This year in Denver, we do not have any rates in our room block at the government per diem. If you must have a government rate, the best option is to contact the hotel directly. Most hotels offer a limited number of government rooms per night, so please check early. Another option is to share a room. Please check the GSA Housing Bulletin Board.

5. I called the hotel of my choice and they have rooms available, but at a much higher rate. Why?
Most hotels will not allow GSA to reserve their entire inventory of rooms. They retain a portion for transient business and charge variable rates based on demand. If they make any of these rooms available to the public over our dates, they may raise the prices on those rooms due to limited inventory and increased demand. GSA has no control over hotel room pricing outside of the reserved housing block.

6. I'm a member of a hotel preferred member rewards program. Can I obtain rewards points when I book a room inside the GSA housing block, and/or can I apply existing rewards points toward my room charges?
Each hotel manages their own policies regarding member rewards. In most instances, GSA's group discount supersedes hotel rewards program benefits, meaning you won't earn points for your stay and may not be able to apply existing points toward your room bill. If you want to know how a particular hotel handles rewards points in association with their GSA group rooms, please contact the hotel directly.

7. I have booked my room outside of the GSA block at a higher price; can I get the GSA rate?
No, we cannot assist with individual reservations made outside of the GSA housing block. If you choose to book outside of the block, you will have to pay the going rate and deal directly with the hotel regarding special requests and/or changes to your reservation. The Housing Bureau cannot access reservations booked outside of the block and, therefore, cannot change the rate on a reservation made directly with the hotel.

8. I found a lower rate online through Expedia (or similar site). Why aren’t GSA's rates the same?
In our contracts, hotels agree to provide GSA with the lowest GROUP rate. When GSA reserves rooms with a hotel, we are reserving a large percentage of the hotels rooms. The hotels have other contracts with wholesalers that allow them to offer discounted rates. Often there are very few rooms available at this lower rate. If you find a lower rate, and it is through a trusted source, then please go ahead and reserve the room! One thing to mention for this year—the group rates for GSA include free Internet in the guest rooms. If you make a reservation through an online hotel site, unless it is stated in your reservation, you won’t receive the complimentary Internet.

9. When I checked into the hotel they told me they were oversold and relocated my reservation to another hotel. What should I do?
Per our hotel contracts any person who has made a reservation through Visit Denver/GSA Housing Bureau will NOT be relocated to another hotel. Occasionally the hotel is in an oversold situation and the person working at the front desk hasn't been made aware of this policy. In the event you are relocated, please contact the GSA Annual Meeting Office located at the Colorado Convention Center (see program book for location and phone number) and ask for Becky Sundeen. Please contact us as soon as possible and do not wait until the end of your hotel stay. We have provisions in our contract regarding GSA attendees who are relocated to another hotel and we will work with to you resolve the issue and make sure you receive all accommodations outlined in our hotel contracts.

10. What is Passkey/GroupCampaigns, and why do I keep seeing that word in connection with reserving a hotel room?
Passkey is the name of the organization that develops the GroupCampaigns reservation system used by Visit Denver's housing bureau for managing reservations. GSA has been using housing bureaus that utilize Passkey for the past 12 years. Your hotel acknowledgement will come from the e-mail address groupcampaigns@pkghlrss.com. Each time your reservation is changed or updated you will receive an updated acknowledgement.

11. How can I reserve a suite?
If you would like to reserve a suite, please contact the Visit Denver/GSA Housing Bureau directly (housing@visitdenver.com). They will check with the hotel to see if they have availability and let you know the rate.

12. When will the hotel have a copy of my reservation?
After 18 October. We ask that you do not call the hotel to check on your reservation until after 18 October. Hotels under contract with GSA are holding all of our rooms under "The Geological Society of America." Most hotels download their room lists on the 19 October—they will have the individual names on the reservations at that time.

13. I missed the hotel deadline, can you still help me?
After the housing deadline of 30 September please check our website for updates. The Visit Denver/GSA Housing Bureau will continue to assist you in making a reservation. They can provide you with an up-to-date list of hotels that have availability and give you a rate range. Please keep in mind rates will increase after the 30 September deadline. If you still have questions about hotel reservations, contact Becky Sundeen at GSA, bsundeen@geosociety.org or +1-303-357-1041.

14. I arrived at the hotel a day after my reservation check-in date and the hotel says they don’t have a room for me. What should I do?
If you do not arrive at the hotel on your scheduled reservation check-in date the hotel will charge you a "no show" charge equal to one night's room/tax AND they will release your room for the remainder of your scheduled stay. To avoid this contact the hotel directly if you cannot arrive on your scheduled arrival date. Even if it is after 6 p.m. the day of your arrival—please contact the hotel to change your reservation arrival date to avoid cancellation of your entire reservation. If you experience issues on-site, please contact the GSA Annual Meeting Office at the Colorado Convention Center. We will try to assist you in finding alternate accommodations.

15. How does GSA protect my room reservation?
We sign contracts with each hotel in the official GSA room block. Each hotel agrees to provide a room for each reservation made through Visit Denver/GSA Housing Bureau. In the event the hotel is unable to honor a reservation, the hotel must make the following arrangements:

1. Provide you with alternate accommodations at a comparable hotel, first using hotels that are part of our block;
  2. Pay the first night’s room and tax at the comparable hotel AND provide an amenity and note of apology from the hotel’s general manager upon your return to the hotel;
  3. Pay the transportation costs to the comparable hotel as well as return to the hotel the following day; and
  4. Pay transportation costs for two (2) round trips per day to and from the comparable hotel and the convention center.

Your responsibility is to arrive on your scheduled arrival date. We advise you to double-check the arrival date on your hotel reservation at least one week before you leave to make sure it is the correct date. If you do not show up on the date of your scheduled arrival, then the hotel will release your room and you will be charged one night’s room/tax. If you have travel delays and cannot arrive on your scheduled arrival date contact the hotel directly to let it know of the change.